This is a vegetable, with a slime effect. By frying it we can reduce its slime effect.it is very beneficial and full of nutrients.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National Nutrient Database, one cup of raw okra, weighing 100 grams (g) contains:
- 33 calories
- 1.9 g of protein
- 0.2 g of fat
- 7.5 g of carbohydrates
- 3.2 g of fiber
- 1.5 g of sugar
- 31.3 milligrams (mg) of vitamin K
- 299 mg of potassium
- 7 mg of sodium
- 23 mg of vitamin C
- 0.2 mg of thiamin
- 57 mg of magnesium
- 82 mg of calcium
- 0.215 mg of vitamin B6
- 60 micrograms (mcg) of folate
- 36 mcg of vitamin A
- It helps to control cholesterol level
- Cancer prevention and treatment
- Helps in heart and brain health
- Helpful in bone structure and muscle mass
- Helpful for pregnant women
- Always wash the okra first, before cooking and make it completely dry before cutting it.
- Add salt only at the end of cooking okra.
- If you want to make it slime free, don’t add water into okra while cooking.
Let’s make it
- Okra/Ladyfinger half kg or 500 grams
- ginger paste 1 teaspoon
- garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- tomato 4 or 5 medium size
- onion 3 or 4 medium
- green chilies 4 or 5
- fresh coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried mango powder(optional)
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp mustard oil/ any other cooking oil of your choice
- first off all wash okra and let it dry. Make sure that there is no more moisture left. Cut the okra as you like. Make thin slices of onion and finely chop green chilies.
- Add oil in a pan and let it be hot. Add cumin seeds saute for a few seconds. Next, add the okra and fry for 4 to 5 minutes or till they start becoming light golden.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, and all the spices.
- Mix it well and let it fry with the okra for 1 minute on medium flame.
- Cover it and slow down the flame on minimum heat and let it cook on steam.
- Cook it for at least 25 to 30 minutes or until it becomes tender.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and green chilies and serve.
- Enjoy the delicious and quick okra.